Technical support for Robert Yang's games
If you have trouble playing one of the games listed here, then check this page for common problems and workarounds. Sorry for any inconvenience.
General troubleshooting for all games
If available, please get the game on Steam or the itch.io app, for automated installation and updates.
If you downloaded it from radiatoryang.itch.io, then:
- Unzip all files, keep any folder structures intact. (If you are on Mac, do not use a third-party tool like Keka, instead use the built-in Archive Utility to help prevent corruption during decompression.)
- Double-click on the ".exe" or ".app" at the unzipped location.
- Turn up your sound, and use your mouse / trackpad to play.
Windows: "SmartScreen" pop-up
- Click "More Info"
- Then click "Run Anyway"
Mac OS X: "unidentified developer" pop-up
- Ctrl+click or right-click on the app and select Open.
- You'll get another pop-up... then press Open again!
If your system was manufactured within the last 5 years, it's probably OK to run my games. If your system does not meet these requirements, then the game may not work, or it may perform slowly / poorly. Sorry.
- Windows 7+, Mac OS X 10.8+, Linux (Ubuntu 12.04+)
- 2+ GB RAM (recommended: 4 GB)
- DX9 / SM3.0 compatible graphics card or GPU (Intel Integrated Graphics 3000 or higher is usually OK)
If the game runs slowly / poorly
Play the game at a smaller screen resolution, or set the game's quality settings to "Low Quality." If you have switchable graphics on your laptop, make sure you enable your discrete graphics GPU.
Also, plug in your laptop to an electrical outlet. When running only on the battery, many laptops switch to a lower performance "battery-saver" mode. That makes the game run slowly.
If the game closes immediately or the screen is black
This could also be an OpenGL graphics rendering bug, especially on certain versions of Mac OS X and Linux.
- If the game is open, then close it.
- Restart the game... but immediately after you double-click the game icon, hold [ALT] (Windows) or [OPTION] (Mac OS X). Timing is crucial!
- If it worked, you will now see the debug config dialog, which looks like this. Now try these options to see if any of them work:
- play in "Windowed" mode
- play in "Low Quality" mode
- play in full screen mode at native resolution
What if I tried everything here already?
Try deleting the game and re-downloading it + re-installing it. Maybe the download got corrupted, or a moth flew into your circuit board.
Help with specific games
[SPOILER] Stick Shift: the game state is stuck between fifth and sixth gear
Please play Stick Shift HD packaged with Radiator 2 instead, where this input bug has been fixed. Sorry.
Cobra Club: the bathroom walls are missing and my dick turned into a disco ball
Please update to Cobra Club HD, where this shader bug has been fixed. Sorry.
If you have tried all the workarounds and fixes on this page, then feel free to e-mail me. Please allow a few days for me to respond.
Please include information about your computer (operating system, RAM, graphics card type) as well as info about the game (where did you download it from? what version is it?) and as much information about the technical problem as possible (videos and screenshots are great!) If you are playing any of my games with an options menu, a lot of your computer's technical information will be displayed in the lower-left of the screen.
It also helps me greatly if send me the game's log file as well, which can be found (approximately) in these locations:
- Windows: [GAMENAME]_Data\output_log.txt
- Mac OS X: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log (to see ~/Library/ type it into Finder)
- Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/RobertYang/[GAMENAME]/Player.log
When you've gathered as much of this information as possible, e-mail me at yang(dot)robert(dot)w(at)gmail(dot)com.
Thank you for taking the time to conscientiously report bugs. Most game bugs generally go unreported, but still affect many users. Because I'm just one random dude in Brooklyn, I can't afford to run my own QA testing lab like a large video game company, so I must heavily rely on players like you to tell me if anything is going wrong.